Monday, December 14, 2009

Art Quilts Exhibit

[since I’m crafting like crazy but cannot share my work for a bit, here’s some eye candy for ya.]

I recently went to see an art quilt exhibit at a local art center. SAQA’s “Transformations 09: Reflections” exhibit features 34 quilts by some genuine masters of the craft. I’ve not done anything like an art quilt but cannot rule it out for a future project; the textures and use of color are incredibly fascinating.

Here are a few of my favorites. The lighting was just horrible, forgive me please; if it looks awful it's the photographer, NOT the quilter!

Shelly Brucar, “Stormy”














up close:














Deborah Snider “Ecrustaceans I”



















up close - Zow-WEE!

















Elaine Quehl “Reach”


















My first thought, when I got a closeup look at Marti Plager's "Notes from Giverny" was, "Hey, I could do that!"

















Ummmmm....maybe not.














And finally, my favorite use of gravel, beads and newsprint in a quilt, courtesy of Brooke Atherton ("One Wonders"):


















Now look closer:




If you’re in southern New England it’d be worth a detour to see these pieces. See the Guilford Art Center’s website for hours and such.

1 comment:

  1. I was there on the first Saturday in December. Some of the quilts were really beautiful. Yes, the lighting was not so great.

    ReplyDelete