Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Hearts will never be practical ..."

" ... until they can be made unbreakable."  -The Wizard, Wizard of Oz.


Summer is having a second quilt auction in memory of her friend Daniel, who recently died of a broken heart. He was born with a rare heart defect, and died while awaiting a transplant.  He was in the hospital for a year during his last stint; I cannot imagine the emotional and financial burden his family must be bearing.


[warning - grendelskin rant ahead; skip this paragraph if you wish!] 

Organ donation is huge in my hit parade; there are few causes I actually believe in but it's among them.  All you have to do is check the little box and someday, if your dead self is somewhat whole, you can save lives even when your own is finished; that's about as painless as it gets, right?  No great sacrifice required, just give permission for a few working bits to be salvaged from an otherwise useless shell.  What a shame that Daniel's medics couldn't find him a replacement part; there were probably several perfectly good ones lovingly tucked underground where they won't do anybody any good at all.
[end of rant - we now return you to your regularly-scheduled blog post.]












This runner is made from three of the Over & Under blocks recently published by Quilt Magazine. My original inspiration was my rosa rugosas, which are hardy, beautiful and deer resistant.  I spotted some pink and green scraps lying atop the brown and they looked like freshly planted rosas to me. I added a border of the brown, then a teeny green one, then bound in the brown. I used the brown for a backing and quilted on my DSM. The final size is 16 X 39″.

Place a bid. Keep the table runner or give it away.  Help a family to try to mend their broken hearts and grab a little Rosa beauty while you're at it. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your position on organ donation. I dont understand why people dont donate

    ReplyDelete