Monday, March 8, 2010

Alice Flowers

This weekend I went as one of the chaperones/designated drivers for a group of 17 (eep!) teens to see the new “Alice in Wonderland” film. The friend who organized this specializes in the Huge Sleepover; she has more patience and grace than I could possibly muster!

Many of the kids dressed for the occasion; it was a terrific time. I figured the Drivers probably wouldn’t do full costumes (I certainly wouldn’t, since the characters I resemble most closely require horizontal stripes and I haven’t worn those since I was twelve!) so I decided to make some Alice Flowers instead. I loved the digitized flowers with faces on the promo stills for the film so I thought they’d work well. I started with the following pattern and added petals.





They’re a little wonky, and way more cutesy than I’d intended, but they seemed to go over well. Remind me next time how much I dislike working with tiny fiddly things!








p.s. – the film? Well, it’s not Burton’s (or Elfman’s) best effort, but it cruises along nicely (as long as you accept that it’s not a retelling of the original) until the last few minutes and captures the wonder and unease of the original tale pretty well I think. The best bit? Johnny Depp‘s outstanding recitation of “Jabberwocky.” I sat there with my jaw hanging open, it was that wonderful. Go see it for that one short scene, if for nothing else; you’ll be glad you did.

1 comment: