Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Just Flew in From the Coast ...

...and boy are my arms tired!

Quilting is WORK. Anyone who says otherwise has hired a longarmer to do the work for her. But it’s coming along – I’m doing diagonal lines, very wobbly and wonky but that’s what I get for being too simple to find chalk that isn’t meant for the driveway. There will be LOADS of thread-trimming to address here – I’m only doing short spans. And after 40 minutes or so my shoulders want to leave the premises – of my body. I sort of wish my cute little Janome had less in common with my Great Aunt Mildred and more with Linda Lovelace.

This past weekend (what – it’s Thursday already?!?) we went to a celebration for one of the girlchild’s best friends who had her Bat Mitzvah celebration. It was terrific – I’d never been to the Temple for a celebratory event and it was a genuine treat. Long, but so casual and joyous! Afterwards there was a marathon party at her house. My husband set up a Stonehenge replica made of pavers in the yard, and though nobody danced around it we had fun with it anyhow. There was a face-painter, a DJ, snowcones galore, and loads of fabulous food.

As a gift, I strung a necklace for the Bat Mitzvah – it’s a Chamsa, or Hand of Miriam, or Hand of Fatima, an ancient symbol used to ward off the Evil Eye. Shared by both Jews and Arabs as a talisman, it’s becoming a symbol of peace between the tribes, which gives it a little extra “oomph.” I got the pendant from Shymali and added garnets, darkish tigereye beads and sterling spacers.


I like it - the combination of garnet with tigereye is very subtle, in artifical light you can hardly tell the difference and in sunlight the tigereye gleams beautifully against the garnet's deeper glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment