Monday, July 19, 2010

Quilt Show!

The Clamshell Quilt Guild had their biennial show this weekend.  I've been eyeballing this guild for awhile since they are fairly local (where I live, everything is "fairly" local, LOL!); I don't know whether I have the time to commit to a guild but it seems like a great group of people, diverse and friendly and very talented.  The raffle quilt was spectacular - I hope I win it! They had a bunch of generous raffle baskets too, and a lot of books, magazines and pamphlets available "for a donation" which I thought was terrific.



There were lots of vendors.  I have to tell you that I'm always disappointed with the vendors at quilt shows:  I should think they'd offer deals at a show but the prices are always plain-ole retail.  If you offer me a special price at a show you'll get my business immediately and my attention for future custom, and you'll have less stuff to load when you leave!  When I see everything priced at full retail, I tend to just slide on by.
Now that I've had my little rant, on to the good stuff.  The theme was "Quilts All Around the Town" and their setup was great:  little booths each designated as named shops, with streetlight decorations and "streets" named Stipple Street, Applique Alley and the like.  There were more than 250 quilts on display.  Here are just a few of the ones that caught my fancy:

This neat use of border fabric was the work of Annette Sjurset:













Gloria Smith made this one.  I like this kind of pattern where one minute the squares leap out at you and the next, the star does.  I know some don't care for that effect.














Detail of one of those smaller blocks - isn't it wonderful?














Alice Means created this Pinwheel Spiral.  The intricate and time-consuming paper piecing (she noted that the piecing took her six weeks, eeek!) makes me drool and scares the heck out of me at the same time.














Shame on me, I do not have a credit for this lovely block.  I snapped a pic without making a note of the quilter's name.  If it's yours, I do apologize.  I love the block though, anyone know what it's called?












This pretty is Patricia Weiss' work.  I love the corner blocks, they bring out the best in a quilt that already shows tons of talent, time and love invested in it.






















Another piece, this one by Jayne Coale, showing great corner treatment.  Is there anyone out there not a sucker for bowties?














Jean Conway made this scrappy quilt.  This just sings with all of its bright colors.






















I know exactly why I don't have a credit for this one but it's no excuse:  the booth got very crowded while I was in there and I didn't get a chance to come around again.  My sincerest apologies.  Here's another wonderful technique - it's not a cathedral window, but definitely related.  So gorgeous! 














Here's a closer look:

Here's another Alice Means quilt.
 
I just love the fabric selections for this one!
Hope you enjoyed this little bit of eye candy.  I will be sorry to have to wait two years until the next show from these talented quilters!

2 comments:

  1. Whew - thanks for all the eye candy, and ... I totally agree with you about vendors at quilt shows. Seems I seldom buy anything they have as my LQS always gives me some kind of discount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, thank you so much for sharing!
    I love the diversity in the quilts and the talent: OMGosh!
    Eye-candy indeed... great picture taking as well!
    :)

    ReplyDelete